Chili.

10 comments

I traditionally save my chili for Super Bowl, but L was craving it a little earlier this year. I decided to cook up a small pot for Manning Bowl II (which went disastrously but I won’t harp on it here). These are the main ingredients that go into the chili:

I start out by dicing the bacon and frying it up. On the side, the big pot has the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans and some chopped onions simmering.

Once the bacon is done, I add it to the pot. Then I brown the ground beef in the bacon fat.

After the ground beef is done, I’ll drain out most of the oil and use the same pan to cook the spicy italian sausage.

Once the italian sausage is added in, I throw in a few squares of unsweetened chocolate and season the chili with bbq sauce and chili powder to taste. I then let it simmer for another 3-4 hours to let the flavors mingle.

VoilĂ .

Written by andrew

September 20th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Posted in Eats

10 Responses to 'Chili.'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Chili.'.

1. Damn, that sounds delicious AJ. The simple process of cooking the ground beef in the bacon grease is genius, I shouldve been doing that all along. Nice work.

KGS

23 Sep 10 at 12:40 pm

2. Thanks! I just checked your site and it’s pretty much a dream come true. Let me know if you need a companion for your next review…

andrew

23 Sep 10 at 12:52 pm

3. No problem AJ! No joke, your chili sounds amazing.

Thanks for the praise on my site, its a labor of love, so much fun. More than happy to have you tag along, especially if we head someplace in the East Vill or LES near Self Edge. Any good recs down there? Spitzer’s is by far my favorite in the area.

KGS

24 Sep 10 at 10:04 am

4. […] I’ve been wearing Andrew’s jeans for over two years. And by this, I mean a pair of 3Sixteens he got me into way back when. One of the nicest dudes out there, you can catch him most days down at Self Edge on Orchard st. or keep up with him HERE. Andrew was kind enough to indulge me in my request for his Fall Three. It is as follows: 1)Apple picking: We’ve made a habit of heading upstate to go apple picking at least once each Fall, but this is the first year that my wife and I are bringing a new addition to the family with us: our son Logan. There’s so much to love about spending a day at an orchard: seeing the leaves change, enjoying a hot cup of cider in the brisk air, and testing numerous apples to make sure they’re not poisonous. 2)Outerwear: The cooler weather brings about my favorite clothing items: boots and outerwear. This Flat Head varsity jacket was the lone item that all three Self Edge partners (myself, Kiya and Johan) bought last year. Since then, we asked Flat Head to custom make additional letters to spell out our shop name and have affixed them to our respective jackets. I’ll be wearing this quite a bit in the coming months.(Ed.Note: #Dope) 3)Football: I love football season and am so thankful that the lockout ended. The year round anticipation that builds while following draft picks, player additions and defections all comes together in the fall season. I especially enjoy seeing unexpected players step up and fulfill roles their coaches and fans never expected. +1)Because the new Giants stadium has priced me out of tickets, I enjoy each game from the comfort of my home and I’m just fine with that. Plus, it gives me the perfect excuse to make a pot of chili. […]

5. Real chili doesnt have italian sausage in it.

david

11 Nov 11 at 1:32 pm

6. Cool. More for me.

andrew

11 Nov 11 at 1:39 pm

7. […] This chili recipe is bonkers; beef, spicy italian sausage, AND bacon. […]

8. there is no such thing as REAL chili “david” – its whatever you put in and this shit looks good… in tx its pintos not kidneys but sometimes we’ll do those white beans w/ chicken chili – and sometimes turkey sausage – but i’ve never even thought of using bacon AND sausage… this will be in the slow cooker this weekend – maybe w/chorizo too for extra double heart stopping action!

thanks!

Dintx

dintx

14 Nov 11 at 6:08 am

9. Hey Andrew –

I was going to make this chili for the SB this weekend…been waiting to do so since last year. Do you happen to have the exact recipe with the breakdown of ingredients? If so, please email me!

Thanks buddy.